Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mailboxes

I had another breakthrough when I really realized how to properly use masks in Photoshop. I am trying to stay away from post-editing photos too much (this is supposed to be a practice in good photography!) but I it is also good practice in using post-editing to enhance photos. It is fun to take pictures of everyday things and see how you can make them look cool. Sometimes during the week, I get too busy and slap photos up on here without showing them the TLC they deserve.

2 comments:

  1. What are masks? Is that making the background more fuzzy? That is really good picture, I really like the pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masks are complex...you basically put something over the picture (like a texture or solid color) and then use masks to erase part of the layer so that part of your picture is clear. For this one, I layered black over the photo, and dialed it back until it was barely gray and fuzzy. Then, I "erased" the gray fuzzy part off of the flag in the foreground so it was clearer and brighter than the others.

    ReplyDelete